We’ve got a list!
- Value-addition over window dressing. We avoid rent-seeking arbitrage of financial products by just tagging them ‘Halal’ and replacing a few words while the substance remains the same.
- Proactivity over reactivity: We believe in creating our own Islamic finance solutions instead of ‘fixing’ the conventional ones.
- Synergy. Unity is for survival but synergy is for growth. We believe that prosperity comes when sincere hard-working people come together with a win-win mindset. Together, they create such magic that they could never conceive on their own individually. One-man shows just look good on TV.
- Ingenuity over innovation. Innovation is about creativity, ingenuity is about problem-solving creatively AND affordably. Simply, ingenuity is innovation on a budget. We love this idea. Especially in the post-Covid scenario where we are all struggling to stay afloat and many businesses are revamping their cost structure to beat the slump. So, although it feels good to fantasize launching million-dollar-research-backed grandiose financial products, we believe we should make do with what we have and launch products that are basic and affordable for all.
- Focus on core competence not bells and whistles: Statistics show that informal partnerships comprise the lion’s share of any economy. They are those family and friends partnerships that just need the most basic and practical guide on how to draw up a good partnership agreement and that’s it. They want to focus on the business itself and have no time, resources or will to get involved with legal or accounting complications on the outset. Offering them a multi-feature product with legal and accounting support for example would be like offering Ferrari to those who just need a Corolla.
- Grassroots economics: We believe in bottom-up prosperity. We want to serve the underserved small partnerships that have so far gone largely unnoticed beneath the radar of business consultancy providers.
- Entrepreneurship: The Covid shake-up has resulted in massive lay-offs and those who survive are hanging by a thread. We believe that entrepreneurship is no longer an option but a matter of survival and we hope that our service helps budding entrepreneurs to start off on the right foot.
- Partnership is a blessed model. And not only blessed, but also structurally more robust and flexible to adapt to the challenges of an increasingly dynamic corporate landscape. Operational agility is the make or break of today and informal on-demand partnerships may have got what it takes to change the game in the current post-Covid crisis.
- Excellence over perfection. We are not perfect and can never be. So we aim for excellence and continuous improvement instead of waiting for the ‘right’ time or the ‘perfect’ product. This is the much expounded wisdom of all times. Whether it’s ‘the best middle’ or ‘the golden mean’, the ‘Pareto principle’ or more famous “Perfect is the enemy of good’ or more recent, ‘the lean startup’; the wisdom behind all is the same: Try you best and get rolling and correct the course along the way.
- And finally, we believe that journey is sweeter than the destination. The below couplet says it beautifully:
Why hasten for destination if you’re on the Path of Love?
Being exhausted and broken is the destination in itself
Also, no journey is trouble free, and behind every crisis is either a warning to rectify or an opportunity to improve. The 2008 crash and current Covid are good examples. The way forward is not only to keep the end in mind but also to enjoy the bumpy journey just as much.
“Don’t get daunted by the fury of opposing winds, oh eagle!
These blow only to make you soar higher.”
First couplet by Syed Sadiq Hussein, second by Mufti Taqi Uthmani